About our History
Following a trend of Schools of Arts in regional areas, Exeter residents Arthur Yates, Frank Yarwood and Frank Badgery purchased the land from Dalgety & Co on 20th April 1901. Sydney architects, Slatyer and Cosh drew up grand plans however, the construction of a modified smaller hall was commenced by William Jones of Moss Vale at a cost of A£630. A concert celebrated the official opening on 19th December 1902.
All kinds of community events have been held in the historical hall from movies in the 1920s and amateur theatricals in the 1930s and 1940s. At one stage during World War II the hall and park were requisitioned by the Army for workshops and as a recovery depot. In 1970 the caretaker’s cottage and the library rooms were demolished. Birthdays, engagements, weddings, meetings, community events and religious services have continued to this day.
In 2016 Exeter Hall was extended to include a second function room named the Reuben Room, a commercial kitchen, internal toilets with a wrap around, undercover verandah overlooking Exeter Park.
The adjacent 16 acres of tree-lined parkland was donated to the community of Exeter by the Badgery Family. The oval is now home to Exeter Soccer Club and is used by the Highlands Cricket Clubs. The Southern Highlands Croquet Club is also based at Exeter Park. Exeter Tennis Club uses the tennis courts and there is also a children’s playground.
The Exeter War Memorial can be found near the carpark.
Today Exeter Village Hall is owned by the Wingecarribee Shire Council and managed by a volunteer committee. All enquiries are answered by volunteers and all bookings are made officially through our Booking Officer on behalf of Wingecarribee Shire Council. Please see our Bookings Page for more information.